The theme of Menstrual Hygiene Day 2019 is — It’s Time for Action — which aims to explore the transformative power of improved menstrual hygiene as a way to empower the world’s women in unlocking their economic and educational opportunities.
Trivia about menstrual hygiene management:
1) According to a survey conducted, nearly 57.6 percent of women in India use sanitary napkins.
2) Nearly 78 percent of urban women in India use a hygienic method of menstrual protection as compared with 48 percent of women living in rural areas.
3) A single woman generates up to 125 kg of menstrual waste throughout the years she is menstruating.
4) The correct way to dispose off your sanitary pad is to first wrap them in a newspaper and make a sign that helps rag pickers identify sanitary napkins and dispose them off in a correct manner.
5) We should be mindful about the proper disposal of menstrual waste as it often tends to be a health hazard for waste pickers, who manually separate soiled napkins from recyclable items by hand, exposing themselves to dangerous disease-causing micro-organisms.